We advocate for safe homes.
RAPPAHANNOCK CASA’S MISSION is to ensure that every child grows up in a safe, permanent home with the opportunity to thrive. Our volunteers work diligently to make sure each child’s needs are identified and met and that no child lingers in foster care or returns to an abusive home. We advocated for our first child in 1990. While our caseload fluctuates, we typically serve about 170 children per year — in Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania, King George and Stafford. Judges appoint us to serve children in foster care; under protective orders or Child in Need of Services petitions; or in custody cases with abuse or neglect allegations.
WE BELIEVE IN:
- Effective intervention. Childhood trauma can create lifelong challenges if unaddressed. We promote helpful services and healing relationships that can build resilience and offset Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACES).
- Collaboration. We communicate with professionals throughout the child welfare system and community to promote children’s best interests.
- Child-centered advocacy. We keep children’s needs at the forefront and always prioritize their well-being. Adults’ voices can be loudest in the child welfare system; we elevate children’s voices and make sure they are heard.
- Family preservation/connection. We believe it’s best for children to grow up with their biological families whenever safely possible. We support efforts to strengthen families and keep them together, so long as it is safe for children.
- Diversity, equity and inclusion. We believe in safe, nurturing homes for all children, regardless of background, identity or ability, and we recognize the value of having advocates who reflect the diversity of the children we serve.
- Financial stewardship. We use our resources wisely to ensure that we stay financially stable and ready to serve every child in need.
- Ethical service. We are committed to respectful, honest and fair service. We comply with the high standards required by the National CASA/GAL Association and Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services.
- Gratitude. We deeply appreciate our volunteers, who pour their hearts and minds into serving children. We also appreciate the donors who support our services and the community partners who strive to make children’s lives safer and healthier.